Monday, June 29, 2015

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify.

Photographing the garden makes me aware of its weaknesses. These are some reminders for myself:

My propensity to pick up a plant or two every time I'm at garden center results in a garden with lots of little blobs of color rather than continuity. I have way too many plants and way too many varieties. In all things, simplify, simplify, simplify. 

What next? The two low lemon-yellow Hostas by the bird bath don't work. They don't like the sun; worse the color doesn't work - they are just two blobs of yellow-green laying dead on the bricks. They'll bring some much needed light back in the shadows behind the bench where they belong. 

The rose-pink lily is too tall for its forward location. After it's done flowering I will move it back away from the intersection. Probably the iris too. 

The peony by the archway is a big plant in the wrong place. A great plant, but where? Maybe the entry garden? Do I really want to expand north across the entry path?

There are tall sedums, asters and yarrows that really should live down the hillside in the developing butterfly/native garden. The asters and yarrow for certain.



Colors work except for the blob hosta. 

This works. It's green and hard to screw up.








Stop by, I'll give you a plant or two, Gunnar

No comments: